Administrators appointed to Aberporth hotelBy Storm Rannard, Digital Staff Writer
An historic hotel which overlooks Aberporth Bay has gone into administration.
But insolvency specialists dealing with the case have been able to retain most of the venue's workforce and keep running the hotel as they work to secure a buyer.
Lindsey Cooper and Diana Frangou, of Baker Tilly Restructuring & Recovery, were appointed joint administrators of Underfield Hotels Ltd and Underfield Leisure Ltd on 3 October 2014.
The company, which has a registered address in Altrincham, Cheshire, operated the Penrallt Hotel in Cardigan. The appointment followed a "long period" of "difficult" trading conditions.
Penrallt employed 22 staff when the administrators were appointed. A total of four were made redundant, while 18 have been retained to continue trading.
A statement from Baker Tilly said that it was seeking a buyer for the 26-bed venue, which lies within 50-acres of land.
It also includes 18 holiday cottages, which are being offered for sale along with the hotel and its leisure facilities.
The Penrallt Hotel dates back to the mid-17th century, when it was used as a circulating school to educate people in Cardiganshire, now Ceredigion.
It was originally built buy Griffith Ap Jenkin, whose family can trace its descent from Elystan Glodrydd, founder of the fourth Royal Tribe. It remained in the Jenkins family until 1924.
The original building stood until 1814 until it was demolished and rebuilt by Captain Thomas Jenkins. It was then reconstructed in its current Edwardian form in 1907/08.
During the 1930s, the hotel was an experimental school for unemployed school leavers fom the Rhondda. That was closed following the outbreak of World War II and moved to Miskin Manor near Cardiff, which is now a hotel.